I created this concoction years ago when I was still active duty in the Army and it worked better than any insect repellent I have ever used, without all the chemicals! This recipe involves a little cooking and some fresh herbs from the produce section.
Ingredients & Supplies
- travel size shampoo bottle
- crock pot
- 30-40 drops of orange sweet oil
- 2/3 cup fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- tea trea essential oil
- citronella essential oil
- olive oil
- Allow fresh herbs to wilt.
- Add basil and thyme to the crock pot.
- Add enough olive oil to cover herbs plus 1″. This will be about 1 cup. Turn the crock pot to low and let “cook” for about 2.5-3 hours.
- Strain oil through strainer lined with cheesecloth. Squeeze herb mixture tightly to extract as much oil as possible.
- Measure amount of oil and add 10 drops of citronella and 5 drops of tea tree to every once extracted.
Apply topically on skin.
Notes: This oil is for topical use only!